Today I am going to tell you about the best blogging platforms which are the best platforms for beginners and intermediate.
Do you want to start Blogging? But which Blogging Platform you will choose from WordPress, Blogger, Wix, Tumbler, and from many more. well, you don’t need to worry about it, Here are some of the best Blogging Platforms compared with their Pros and Cons.
Blogging is easy and easy to start but when you look at the Blogging platforms there are plenty and if you are confused to choose the Best Blogging platform, here we are with some of the Best Blogging platforms.
You must have heard of some of these blogging platforms but which one to choose from? Which one is the ideal and which one will allow you to earn revenue in the future?
What is Blogging?
Blogging is a process of making money using the Internet but what exactly it is?
In simple terms, Blogging means writing and nothing else but what to write and where to write?
You can write about anything you know or you want to share. For example, it may be about your pet or even your own life. But the question still remains, where to write? So, to write anything, you need a blogging platform and here we have a list of blogging platforms that you can choose from.
All your questions are answered here. But before you choose a Blogging platform you must consider these things:
- It should be easy to use
- Future proof
- Growth aspect
- Ability to generate Revenue
Best Blogging Platforms in 2021
Now let’s talk about these blogging platforms in detail.
WordPress is large and the biggest Blogging Platform that we have but is it perfect for you?
Yes, you heard it right, it is the biggest Blogging platform and this one is even free. WordPress.org is software that helps you create and manage a website but it does not work alone. There are some hidden costs involved too where you have to buy a domain and a server space that will host your website.
But where is WordPress here?
WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS) that uses PHP and it has to be installed on servers to work.
So, WordPress is software that will create a website for you. It won’t do it automatically but as we said it’s free and open-source which means anyone can give contributions to it. So, it’s a free blogging platform that allows you to control your website and totally manage it. But how does it work?
All you need is to buy a domain name that will be the URL of your website and server space from any hosting company of your choice and then you can install WordPress by downloading it from WordPress.org.
You will get a lot of free and premium themes with WordPress giving different looks to your website and there is a plugin for almost everything. the best thing is that you can create any type of website without knowing anything about so-called coding.
- WordPress is completely free, there is no hidden cost involved unless you want to spend.
- It’s all drag and drops that you have to do.
- It allows you to take backups the way you want, there are no restrictions here.
- You don’t need to do any sort of coding for creating any professional website. All you have to do is install a Plugin for the task you want to do.
- The biggest thing is that WordPress is free and will always be so you don’t need to worry about any cost even in the future.
- You can create any type of professional blog, website, portfolio, resume, etc.
- Transferring data is quite easy. You can move to any platform anytime you want and even you can switch to WordPress from any other blogging platform.
- Everything is just drag and drop so none needs to learn any coding.
- Revenue generation is quite easy you can place any type of affiliate link and ads from any network like Google Adsense etc.
- it’s free but you need to know that it won’t work alone, you will have to make some expenditure first before installing WordPress.
- You can give any look to your website with a lot of WordPress themes available but if you need to change everything, you will have to purchase a premium version of these themes and plugins too.
- Everything is drag and drop but if you are the one managing your site, you will also have to manage backup and stuff because if anything goes wrong, all your data will be lost. So, you will have to take care of backup and updates on your own.
WordPress is completely free but if you are looking to start with WordPress then first you need to buy a domain name. You can get it from any vendor and if you are buying it from A2 Hosting you can get it at a very cheap price.
Then you need a server space that will store the data for your website. You can rent a server called shared hosting from A2 hosting for as cheap as $3 a month. This is what you will have to spend the minimum to start and then you can download the WordPress from WordPress.org and install it on your website.
There are some hidden costs too like Premium Themes and Plugins. But that’s up to your need and requirements. There are no hidden costs too like SSL and Domain name. You get free SSL and domain name in the A2 Hosting.
Blogger – Free Blogging Platform
If you don’t know anything about Blogging and just want to learn and know the things then Blogger is the right platform.
Blogger is totally free and it’s a product from the world-famous company Google. Google has its platform where they allow people to start their blog and spread their message. All you will have to do here is have a Google Account and sign up for free, create a blog, and start writing immediately.
They give you free domain but the sad thing is that its not a domain name. Yeah, for that you will have to buy but you get a sub-domain from blogspot.com. But you get free server space that you want and added free SSL with that. so, the thing is that you don’t need to worry about anything here, all you have to do is focus on writing.
And, as the name suggests, it’s just a platform for Bloggers. You cannot create a professional website or an e-commerce store. Here you don’t get so many designing options but yeah! there are some premium templates here too. But, remember it’s a platform from Google which is controlled by them and they have all the ownership to your Blog.
- Its a product from Google that is free.
- No setup cost involved to create a blog on Blogger.
- You get free HTTPS with their own server space, not yours.
- You can monetize your blog with Google Adsense and start making money with it.
- It’s totally free.
- Almost everything is customizable.
- All you have to focus is on writing and everything is just easy.
- its simple to create a blog and almost every Google product is integrated with the Blogger.
- The speed of Blog is always fast no matter how much data you post in.
- It’s free but all you get is a sub-domain.
- Customization is not possible of that level that you would expect from a professional website.
- You do not get all the controls to your website.
- It’s not got from an SEO point of view.
- Blogger is a product from Google where Google is the owner of the content and they can discontinue anytime as they did with Google+.
- The only monetization option you have is Google Adsense and they can suspend it if you violate any of their policies.
as we said this one is completely FREE and you can start a free blog with the sub-domain from blogspot.com. But if you are looking for a custom domain then you will have to buy it separately.
Wix is another platform to create a website where you can start Blogging. And there are higher chances that you must have heard of this one more often than the former two. Wix is more popular just because this is a paid one and they are spending huge money on advertising to attract people to join their platform.
So, let’s say WordPress and Blogger are two absolute favorite platforms for blogging then Wix could be a platform for those who are looking to make their business online. It is a platform where you get a lot of templates and all you have to do is drag and drop every element that you want.
It’s simple to create a website with Wix.com but they don’t allow you to transfer your data to other platforms. They will manage almost everything including backups but they also have all the controls of your website.
- Its all drag and drop, no coding required.
- There are plenty of templates available here with Wix.
- They also give you some added tools like Logo Maker, banner designer, etc.
- Wix is free as well as premium version is there.
- You don’t have to worry about your back up and stuff.
- You can create any type of website with just doing some clicks.
- Wix has plenty of design options all you have to do is select one suitable for your business website.
- You also get a super-fast website with added security like SSL etc.
- They give you reliable customer support that is always ready to help you out.
- They give you a lot of design options but all you get is a template which can not be changed beyond a certain limit.
- Once you buy a premium plan from Wix, all you do is start paying them for your life.
- If you are looking to migrate your website to some other platform then you are on the wrong platform as they won’t allow you to do it.
- Wix is making your job very busy but they are also getting most of the controls on your website.
- If you are choosing Wix to start blogging then you must be looking to monetize it some way or the other but the problem is that they will show ads but those will be there’s and they will make money not you.
Actually, It’s easy to start a website with WIX but it will be of no use because they will give you only a sub-domain from wix.com and some limited features.
So, you will have to buy a premium plan ranging from $5 to $25 a month depending upon your needs. In some countries, you can get it for as cheap as $1/month and they are also running some discounts where you can get it for even cheaper rates. But buy it only if you are looking for a business website and you know nothing about building a website.
Weebly – Best Blogging Platform For Beginners
This is another website building platform where you are losing more controls just to get some conveniences. It’s like you are not ready to learn a few things and for that, you are giving away control of your website.
Weebly is a website builder that allows you to create almost every type of website with just a few clicks. They give you a lot of design options and templates to choose from and you can start building your website by doing some clicks.
There are some premium and free plans and you can create a fully functional website for free but remember nobody gives you anything for free. You will always get a sub-domain only if you are choosing a free plan no matter which platform you choose from. The basic difference is on the design part and the dashboard that you get with Weebly.
Weebly is also available in an Android app format from where you can create a whole website with your phone only. But this one again is just a website builder that may be of some help for those who know nothing about coding or websites.
- Weebly is just a drag and drop format and easy to use.
- The dashboard is quite simple giving instant customer support.
- They do all the work for you with your few clicks only.
- Site security and all the hosting problems are solved with Weebly.
- Drag and drop only with a simple interface.
- They also allow you to test premium features before you buy it.
- Your site is fully secured heer, you don’t need to worry much about it.
- It’s again a website builder that will do only a few limited changes, not like WordPress where you have all the controls.
- The features that you get are limited only even with the premium plan.
- It’s always difficult to migrate platforms and here again, they don’t allow you to switch platforms.
This one also starts for FREE but all you get is a sub-domain and some limited features. So, if you are genuinely looking to have a website on Weebly then it is always advised to buy a premium plan starting from $5/month and you can upgrade it anytime you want.
This is completely different from the former one because all you have to do here is buy a premium plan and they will do the rest. But with WordPress.org you only get the software and you will have to manage almost everything. You will have to buy your own domain and hosting with your own backup management and site updates in the former one while this is like a hosting company.
WordPress has a range of plan that you can choose from and also its very similar to other site builders but one added advantage is that you get the WordPress software too. This gives you a whole lot of controls than other builders but that comes with an added cost too unless you want to with the free plan.
Here you can create almost any type of website with WordPress.com and the difference in plans is of speed and traffic handling capacity that you get with each plan.
- Everything is free with their premium plans which aren’t free but they also give you some premium options too.
- You get live chat support for extra services and queries.
- They also give you a domain name for a year with the premium plans and a sub-domain with the free one.
- The best thing is designing options that you get and some premium themes and templates too.
- You also get a whole new range of WordPress store of free themes and plugins.
- You get a whole new range of WordPress features including the WordPress store.
- Their support services are quite good that help you in any difficulty.
- The premium themes and plugins help you to customize your site the way you want it.
- The most problematic part is that most of the website builders do not allow you to migrate but you can easily migrate from WordPress.
- They also allow you to make money with it where you can place any type of ad.
- As it looks like WordPress is one of the best blogging platforms which of course it is but not this one. The wordpress.com is just a mere hosting company and all they charge is to give you hosting space and rest of the things are just marketing tactics.
- If you are looking for just a hosting company then, there are many others giving better services and cheaper rates and WordPress can be learned by watching a few Youtube tutorial videos.
- Here again, you are losing a lot of control to your website for getting some convenience.
As like every other website builder, there is a FREE version of WordPress too and you only get a sub-domain from wordpress.com.
There are premium plans starting from as low as Rs 250/month and go up to Rs 800/month. They give you some premium support with premium themes and a free .com domain with the plans.
So. this is not a blogging platform but a microblogging platform like Twitter where you can post a lot more than you do on Twitter. To be honest, this is just a part of Social Media where people can express their thoughts and that’s what we do in Blogging.
And, if you are wondering why would anyone choose such a microblogging platform? The reason is that bloggers love blogging and people love to read microblogs so why not do it?
Tumblr also allows you to share multimedia things that you do on social media. Also, anyone can follow you on this platform and this is a totally free thing. There is no money involved here.
And, if you are looking for a custom domain for your blog on Tumblr then you will have to buy it separately and they allow you to link it to the custom domain that you own. Also, there is no monetization as such but if you are able to build an audience you can be an influencer, and it’s a great way to redirect traffic to your website.
To define Tumblr in a few words, it’s a social media that gives you knowledge base.
- You get a dashboard on Tumblr that allows you to control almost everything of your blog.
- You also have their apps on mobile platforms like Android and ios. So all you need is to install the app and you can control everything from there.
- There are millions of blog on Tumblr that you can follow and learn from.
- They also give you Inbox and Messaging option where your readers can directly inbox you and you can get their feedback directly.
- Tumblr is very strict against Adult content meaning any sort of pornographic content can lead to suspension of your blog.
- Its simple to use and the interface is very minimal with their simple theme options. You can create a blog on Tumblr in just a few minutes.
- This is very well optimized for mobile platforms too, So all you need is a smartphone app that can handle everything.
- they give you an option to schedule your blogs so you don’t need to be online at the time you want to publish your blog.
- There is a built-in community in Tumblr that gives you huge traffic and you don’t need to work that much on the marketing part.
- If you are looking for the expenditure part then it’s free but there are some premium plans too but you can do almost everything with the free version.
- They also give you the analytics of your blog too.
- Tumblr is the one that is hosting your content on their servers so you are always dependent on them.
- It’s simple but you cannot perform a lot of functions like adding some widgets and stuff.
- You get a few pre-designed templates but they are limited to a certain point.
- Users need to adapt to the format of Tumblr and it becomes difficult for the new bees.
- There is no monetization option as such and all they do is show their ads on your content.
Tumblr is basically free and you create the best looking blog for free but if you want more customization options with premium designs then they also have some premium plans starting from $9.
Medium – Best Blogging Platform For Writers
Medium is a perfect example of social journalism where you can post almost every type of content. There are many types of publishers including the newbies and professional ones that post content here. There are also corporate publishers here and individual bloggers too.
It’s a perfect combination of Twitter, Reddit, and Tumblr where you get all the features of these platforms combined together. You can design your blog as you do on Tumblr and the suggestion and recommendation part as of Twitter.
They also have a monetization feature where they pay you based on the claps you get on your blog. It’s a system where people can click a button called clap which is similar to the like button. Also, viewers can share their posts.
The editing part is quite simple with a feature called WYSIWYG meaning What You See Is What You Get that simplifies the editing part. Medium sort your articles based on their categories rather than your publication. This helps as all the posts of your category will be combined together.
- WYSIWYG is the best thing about this platform where authors can edit their blogs perfectly.
- There are individual writers and publications to hire in Medium and as an Author, you can use both.
- There is a monetization feature too that works on a number of claps you get which signifies how popular your blog is.
- And when a paid member claps on your blog a part of their fees is given to you.
- There is a commendation feature in Medium that can help you generate a lot of viewers to your blog and also viewers can subscribe to your blog.
- There is a simple and social media sort of thing but you can choose a particular design as like on Tumblr.
- As an Author on Medium, you can publish your content on bigger blogs too instead of publishing it on your new blog.
- Medium also gives you every kind of statistics regarding your blog.
- WYS|WYG feature makes it interesting to edit blogs on Medium.
- WYS|WYG feature is quite good but it has many limitations too.
- There are many bugs in this blogging platform where it gets annoying.
- Also, they highly promote corporations rather than individual bloggers on their platform.
It’s FREE to join and you can create an account even with your social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc. But the thing is that they don’t give you monetization options immediately. As a member, you can be a free member or a paid member, and paid membership costs $5 a month or $50 a year.
Ver similar to WordPress, they also have a paid form of service where they charge a membership fee and do all the stuff for you. But the good thing is that Ghost is a product of Ghost Foundation which is a non-profit organization based in Singapore. So, even if you are buying their premium plans, you are ultimately helping the Ghost platform to grow.
This is a free and open-source platform so anyone can contribute to the platform. If you want to use it, you can download their software from ghost.org and configure it on your servers. Ghost can be a good alternative to WordPress but remember Ghost is capable of only Blogging and publications sort of things. On the other hand, with the help of WordPress, you can create almost any type of website.
Also, if you are using their premium plan, you get super-fast page speed that is because of the Content Delivery Network. They are well optimised for SEO and you also have built-in social sharing options.
- Ghost is one of the best blogging platforms for bloggers as they put more focus on content creation and the rest of the things are handled by them.
- It has SEO options built in like Sitemaps, Canonical Tags, Meta Data, AMP pages, etc.
- Also, they have built-in social sharing options with the GHOST.
- Ghost has very affordable plans where they give you a fast server with SSL and CDN too.
- It’s a blogging platform where you can focus on content creation.
- And, if you are content creators then SEO matters the most, so Ghost takes care of your SEO problems.
- There is also a built-in sharing option that will help you to get more shares on social media.
- You get a lot of apps integrations with Ghost on its blogging platform that will help you grow your blog.
- It’s an open-source blogging platform so everyone knows its code and it becomes easy for hackers to inject some malicious code.
- They claim to be a WordPress alternative but they aren’t because a lot of limitations, WordPress is capable of creating any type of website, not just limited as a blogging platform.
- With all the premium features and support, there comes a cost too.
You can Download the Ghost CMS from ghost.org and install it on your website. And, for that, you will have to buy a domain and server space.
Alternatively, they are also giving their premium plans starting from as low as $29/month where they manage everything including, SEO, SSL, CDN, etc.
These are some of the best blogging platforms that are popular among bloggers across the industry. If you are genuinely looking for a free blogging platform then Blogger is the one but Blogger is not SEO Friendly. So you are stuck with two major options WordPress and Ghost.
Ghost can be a good option for bloggers but we recommend you WordPress and we are considering wordpress.org, not wordpress.com. So, to start blogging, you will have to spend on at least one domain that can be connected to Blogger. And if you don’t want a blogger then hosting is another must expenditure for you.
So, the ideal way is to buy a domain and hosting and install a CMS on your website for free. And, that’s what everyone is doing in the blogging industry.
If you have a blogging idea and you are passionate about it, do it now. Do not waste your time reading about the best blogging platforms and go with the wordpress.org because it is the best.
Tell us in the comments about any other blogging platforms you have heard of.